LIFE IN YELLOW

Friday, May 21, 2004

Story behind the Road

I have no idea if this song *could* even stand on its own. It all makes sense to me, but I find things that need a lot of explanation usually aren't that great on their own. In any case, here's the explanation.
My roommate AJ may help me write music for it.

The word Derek means "The Way, the Path, the Road" (among other things)

The first line is a slight allusion to the song "Nineteen" by the Old97s.
Derek admits he's rotten at relationships. It's not that he's a bad guy in any way, he just doesn't know HOW to do it, he's rotten at playing the game.
*I* gave *him* a flower. Granted it was plastic and from Michael's, but it was blue for his BYU college, which has always been my least favorite school. We joke about it often.

"It" in the chorus refers to actually having a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. We never really did, though we kinda did and I really liked it then. The possibility of maybe having one is the only real reason I can come up with to stay here instead of taking this job in Oregon, and it's not a very good reason.

The second verse is what I thought of first when listening to the song "Nineteen." They sing that he doesn't know why he let her go, but he was only nineteen, so that's his reason - he didn't know any better, or he wasn't ready, or whatever. I WAS 19 in 1997, and Derek is now 29. I don't like the lyric mean, but he is just letting me go, and doesn't have "I'm only 19" as an excuse, and doesn't really have an excuse, and that's mean.

The second chorus refers how Derek and I called so many things, including eachother, scary. I borrow his music all the time, and love it, and I'll miss that, but - I'll most likely move - and be what Derek has dubbed "An Or-A-Goner."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home