LIFE IN YELLOW

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Chess in the City of Books

Yesterday it was my turn to be responsible to decide what "we" would be doing for the evening. It was my one early night for the week, so I wanted to make sure something fun happened.

As it was my turn to decide, I thought 'what is something Portland that I have not done?' It finally came to me - Powell's. Everyone had been asking me "have you been to Powell's? You'd love it!" So we journeyed to Powell's City of Books. It was huge. It was cool (yes, literally too - I got cold). They have new books, used books - every book except the three I tried to find. (They were my friend's magazine that we carried at Borders, A favorite picture book story - Muth's The Three Questions - , and my dad's books. Dad's books were on the computer catalog, though.)

I could get lost all day in the city of books...
But instead, we played chess. The Republican brought his chess set with him, and the game took forever, because he had the patience to help me. I would often stop, and think out loud to get feedback. He was actually a very good teacher - telling the principle, and then making me discover the application. That's how I like to be taught. He still won - but it was relatively close.

On Saturday I'm joining him for a family picnic, and then we may go check out the state fair.
He's giving me reasons to like him, and none not to. Interest waxes daily.

2 Comments:

  • Is he aware of your political opinions...?

    -I.D.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:34 AM  

  • Yes he does. It is one thing we tease eachother about. I think I posted that when we talk politics he sounds reasonable.

    By Blogger Amberlynn, at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home