LIFE IN YELLOW

Saturday, June 12, 2004

The Art of the Mix Tape

There was some movie where they talked about the "art" of making a mix tape.

I made Derek two CD's as goodbye gifts. One is called "Training Wheels - illustrations of an era" and the other is called "Tricycle Music - no training wheels required."

The first is full of songs I find applicable. The playlist:

1) Slung-lo -Erin McKeown
2) Love is Just Around the Corner -Peggy Lee
3) Call My Name -Peter Breinholt & Big Parade
4) Nice Work if you Can Get It -Ella Fitzgerald
5) Enjoy Yourself -Lee Press-On and the Nails
6) When It Comes To Love -Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
7) Bernaise -Rebecca K Downs
8) Just Kiss Me -Harry Connick, Jr.
9) Ring of Fire -Swim Herschel
10) I Don't Understand You -They Might Be Giants
11) I'd Rather -The Lascivious Biddies
12) I'm Beginning To See The Light -Bobby Darin
13) OK -Ani DiFranco
14) Should I Stay or Should I Go -The Clash
15) Perhaps -Cake
16) Undecided -Ella Fitzgerald
17) I'm Leaving On a Jet Plane -Bjork
18) Better After All -Jonatha Brooke
19) Heartbreak Even -Ani DiFranco
20) Be My Yoko Ono -Barenaked Ladies
21) In A Big Country -Big Country
22) Nellie the Elephant -Toy Dolls
23) Gone Daddy Gone -Violent Femmes
24) Cinematic -Erin McKeown
25) Heaven -Los Lonely Boys

The second is just fun songs he would enjoy that I know he doesn't already own:

1 - Ponderous - Two NU
2 - Bohemian - Swim Herschel Swim
3 - Montero - Swim Herschel Swim
4 - Fuz - Swim Herschel Swim
5 - Snail Shell - They Might Be Giants
6 - Sleeping In The Flowers - They Might Be Giants
7 - Rocket To The Moon - They Might Be Giants
8 - Bed Bed Bed - They Might Be Giants
9 - John Lee Supertaster - They Might Be Giants
10 - Where Do They Make Balloons? - They Might Be Giants
11 - If I Had $100000 - Barenaked Ladies
12 - One Week - Barenaked Ladies
13 - Songs About the Great Divide - Peter Breinholt & Big Parade
14 - What About - Peter Breinholt & Big Parade
15 - You Wear Flowers - Peter Breinholt & Big Parade
16 - Happy Birthday Song (Funniest Version Ever!)
17 - Temptation - Fun 40s Songs
18 - Abbadabbadabba
19 - Cocktails For Two - Spike Jones & City Slickers
20 - Doin' What Comes Natur'lly - Dinah Shore
21- I Never See Maggie Alone - Kenny Roberts
22 - Deep in the Heart of Texas - Alino Rey & Orchestra
23 - Personality - Frank Sinatra
24 - It's Unanimous - Alex Pangman

The mixes themselves could be much better, but I did a FANTASTIC job creating the cases.

I'm off now for my last sure day of Derek time, sights of Philadelphia here I come!

2 Comments:

  • Making the cover was definitely always my favorite part of making mix tapes. What did you put on yours?

    -I.D.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:35 PM  

  • I am curious to see what other Swim Herschel Swim music you have. I went to school in UT when they were there and have spent jus about every minute since trying to find a copy of their albums. I once gave my only copy to someone. Had I made a mixed tape instead I would have the original album. Please respond and let me know how I can obtain this rare muzak!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home