LIFE IN YELLOW

Thursday, December 30, 2004

You Should Dance

If learning how to partner dance (Ballroom, Swing, or Salsa) was a required part of LDS training for those 16 and older, it would solve all the social awkwardness problems that go hand in hand with the culture of LDS dating.

Why? Because the cause of the problems are all solved in dancing. The problem is the pressure. The pressure comes from the drive to find your eternal companion, and therefore evaluating each member of the opposite sex you meet for eternal potential right away.

If you meet someone and only have to evaluate them for two to three minutes of enjoyment at a time, then the pressure thing dissapears. Will you dance with me?, thanks, the end OR that was fun.

It also solves other issues. The music is classier, without the overt sexual content of most dance music today. It solves the concerns regarding full body contact ("Is there Book of Mormon space between you two?") - and it requires you to at least meet members of the opposite sex.

Then, if you really like the person, you can have a possitive outlet for those physical drives that can get out of hand when two people like eachother.
Dance practice. Dance practice. Kiss. Dance practice.

I guess what I'm *really* saying here is I'd like to meet a dancing Mormon boy.

4 Comments:

  • I think I see a pretty clear solution here: if there's ever a possibility to lessen your work schedule, do it, and then advertise a dance class (which you will then graciously teach) at your church. If you have a need, fill it! You can do it. And it will solve your problem. Okay, okay, I know it's simplistic, but you could work it out. I believe in you!

    -I.D.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:08 PM  

  • Oh, your posts about dancing are making me miss the good old days. I used to swing dance before it was even popular (about 11 years ago), and then when it was too. I love it! I love the music. I love the clothes. I love everything about it (if I have a good partner!).

    My hubby doesn't dance. :( And, when you are married there aren't many chances to go dancing... other than your own living room!

    I even used to be on the dance team at my college... oh how much I miss that!

    I am very happy to hear that you are having such a good time. Live it up while you can, and find yourself a great partner! :)

    By Blogger Mika, at 5:45 PM  

  • Hey, I love swing dancing too! I'm glad I learned this dance form. Yeah, I know the importance of having that one dance partner that you are most compatible with. I guess I'm lucky that have that. She dances a lot better than me but I think I've been doing pretty well for myself considering that I have no dancing background..

    You'll enjoy dancing more when you find a person you dancing with.

    Cheers!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:33 PM  

  • I agree with you. In fact I have often suggested the same thing over the years.

    In high school I refused to go to dances. I was very socially awkward and didn't know how to dance. My first semester at college I took a social dance class and learned to swing, cha cha, waltz--and I loved it.

    Part way through the semester a friend of mine, who was still in high school, asked me to go with her to my high school's homecoming dance. We went and had a great time as I taught my date and some of the other people in our group the basics of social dance.

    I'm still very partial to swing dance and music. I think it runs in my family. After I discovered how much I love swing, I learned from my grandmother that when she was a teen back in the 30's she was the pianist for a local swing/jive band in her home state.

    My wife and I both love to dance--one of our first dates was to see the neo-swing band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy live in SLC.

    (BTW I noticed from your profile that you like "Pyromaniacs Love Story." I love that movie. I don't know all that many people who are familiar with it.)

    By Blogger J. Max Wilson, at 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home