LIFE IN YELLOW

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

With great expectations

Expectations lead to dissapointments. Or at least that's always the case for me. That's why I'm truly an optimistic pessimist. I expect the worst not only because then I'm prepared, but because then I'll know I'll be happy with everything but the worst.

Last night I went dancing again. It was very sparsely attended, and the reason I paid the $8 cover was because most people inside were ones I had not yet danced with. They looked like decent dancers, but -

The better I get at things (music, dancing, etc.) the less I appreciate mediocre performances (go church musical numbers, yeah!). Take one guy last night for example: He started off by telling my he teaches dance, his way of saying "so, I'm good," but he didn't know how to do a send-out which meant he was pushing me off balance each time, not that I fell - but that he made it impossible for me to keep centered. Worse than that, he held my hand in the way that strains my wrists; the novice really high hold that isn't anywhere near where a good lead should come from.

He was typical of last night, and today my wrist hurts.

The dance floor was really good, but I was in the wrong shoes because I prepaired for the worst - so I didn't have enough traction. I need to save up some money and get some really good supportive sporty shoes. And there was smoking going on upstairs. The worst part of dancing anywhere is getting home and realizing you reek like cigarettes. Ew!

But overall, I'm still glad I went. I still love dancing, and as I won't be going this weekend because my parents are coming to town I need to get it in while I can. But I'm happy to have learned the moral of the story: I now know not to spend $8 for dancing on Tuesday nights. If someone in particular wants me to go, they'll either have to pay for me, or I'll make them go somewhere else to practice with me.

Blues dancing boy called last night to schedule a practice time with me. It will have to be next week sometime. People are always shocked when I tell them my work schedule.
"When do you get off?"
"I get home around 10[pm]."
"Ok, well how about morning? When do you start?"
"Around 10 [am]."

It's fulfilling, ok!

It's somewhat like the reaction I get from dancers when I tell them I don't dance on Sundays.
"But that's the best night of all! Do you go to church at night or something?"
"I just devote the day to other things."

and it's fulfilling, ok!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home