LIFE IN YELLOW

Friday, April 08, 2005

The Sacrifice Novel

Any choice we make in life involves sacrifice.
Sacrifice is unavoidable.
The choices we make can be qualified by the quality of the sacrifice.
For example, if you sacrifice fitting in socially by having a drink of alcohol while at a party - that sacrifice is greatly outweighed by the health and mental benefits you get from not taking a drink. Good friends don't care if you drink anyway -

So the question is, which sacrifice is bigger?…
Case: I feel the most important way I can impact the future is through being a mother. Not only do I think I'd be good at it, but I also don't see any other way to have greater influence on the future than raising a child. So far, the relationships where I feel love and loved are with boys who are unable to take me to the temple. There's always been the "religion issue," that results in the final termination of the relationship… with me moving on because I decide to choose the church over the love. When I have been in relationships with LDS boys, it's never been a natural thing. It's been because I force myself to do it. They've always been hard, roller-coaster, torturous work. Sure I loved Derek -although we disagreed about some things that could easily have been a bigger conflict had we had more time together, but that love was one-way and I deserve somebody who loves me back. The opposite was true with MVOB, and the more time I spend away from him, the more I realize I spent my time wondering if I could even stand him. I tried to like him, he was a nice boy - but especially the beginning of love shouldn't be that way.
There's the camp that thinks love is something you have to work to create. I think that camp is wrong. And then, there's the camp that thinks when you find a love that's worth it, you work to keep it. I'm of that camp (although I haven't worked to stay with my loves, because at the time I guess I loved the idea of something I believed in more).

So I was trying hard to figure out how I truly feel about the church for this reason.
I see a tangible eternity in that every choice we make, or action we take, has an eternal chain of consequences. What if eternal life is just that, life-giving/sustaining actions that cycle forward eternally. If I die, never married, that is an end to my increase. None of me will still be impacting the future. Sure some good things I do may have influence, but not as directly.
So, I'm getting to the choice of which sacrifice is bigger/better.

A: Wait in hope of an LDS boy I'm compatable with, never find him, and live a motherless life - still doing good works. Here I would sacrifice everything I want in this life for some belief in what might happen after I die, but which would go against what I see as tangible consequences from day to day.

B: Marry a good LDS boy, who really I'm just settling for. Have kids, make it work, etc. I honestly don't think my dream guy and a good LDS boy are even remotely possibly found in the same person. Even Portland Perfection questioned the church, in the same way that I do, and he's decided to quit participating. Here I would again be sacrificing what I truly enjoy now, for something that might be true after I die.

C: Marry the kind of man who I truly am happy to be with, which based on patterns in my life would not be a member of the church. I would get to be with someone I love, and have children, getting the most I want from this life and seeing real positive effects today - yet sacrifice the consequences that might happen after I die. Of course, with this one there would be other consequences happening in THIS lifetime - for example, my family feeling very bad for me. I love my family - and I know they want what's best for me - but I don't think I believe what they think is best for me and what I think is best for me are the same thing.

Currently, I'm leaning heavily toward choice C. Somebody pointed out to me that it's silly to base a relationship on something I might believe in instead of what I know. It's also silly for me to hold back what I truly feel and believe based on consequences of what others may think.

So there, in answer to you question about where my priorities are, sisterkay. My priorities are that I truly believe being a mother is the best choice I can possibly make, and finding the right partner for me is important.

If I ever choose life outside the church, it's absolutely not because I want to rebel. I still want to be the best person I can be. I just have questions as to whether doing this within the church structure is what I really feel is best.

Sigh. Total openness is scary, but good.

9 Comments:

  • The Lord knows what will make you happy and loves you. Read your Patriarchal blessing often and keep reading and praying and before you know it Mr. Right will be right in front of you. Eternity is a long time and you already know the answers anyway. Just want to let you know that i love reading your blog- i'd like to see how that play turns out too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:16 AM  

  • just remember... if the church is true but you decide to be a mother 'outside' it, you are not sacrificing your own afterlife, but that of your children as well.

    You know it's true, it would be selfish to enjoy motherhood at the expense of your child.

    By Blogger brohammas, at 9:35 AM  

  • Read your doctrine- this is it. If you remain true and die without marriage you WILL be provided that opportunity in eternity as well as the blessing of motherhood. I would advise you reading the Book of Mormon again and praying about it before you make anymore decisions anout yellow farmer- I'd consider that a personal favor. It does seem you are being denied the desire of your heart, but don't risk what you want eternally for what you want right now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:44 AM  

  • Choose the one you love. As a married woman, I can tell you that you will need that love to sustain you through the trials that will come.

    I can also tell you that it would be easier in your marriage to have a partner that believes the same basic things you do. For that reason if you could fall in love with a mormon boy you will have less struggles in that part of your marriage. For example, your spouse may want to raise your children in his religion, not yours.

    I think what it comes down to is if you believe the church to be true or not. If you believe that the Book of Mormon is true, if you believe in prophets, if you believe the gospel in it's core to be true... then you need to find someone to love with the same belief.

    I don't know if it is possible for you or not, but you might consider moving to find new prospects. Maybe you could even look online, there is a whole world out there besisdes just where you are. You might find someone who you can love easily and share your church life with.

    By Blogger Mika, at 9:54 AM  

  • It is sometimes so very difficult to understand what is best for us.

    You have such wonderful, righteous desires. I encourage you to trust your Heavenly Father. He does love you - so very much. Even more than you love the unborn child(ren) that you desperately want. He desires for you to be happy. He does have great things in store for you, including motherhood. (Just like Sister Kay said, if not in this life, certainly in the life to come - it's a promise that has been made to EVERY woman who endures to the end, despite the challenges they face here.)

    Sometimes what are our most difficult trials become in a way, our greatest blessings. We just can't see the "big picture". We don't know what is waiting for us just around the corner. But the Lord does. You need to trust Him. He will NEVER guide you down the wrong path.

    Conference last weekend was remarkable. As I have faced a difficult trial recently, I found some of the talks especially helpful. I encourage you to read them. Elder David E. Sorensen, Elder Adhemar Damiani, and finally terrific advice about feeling the tender mercies of the Lord by Elder David A. Bednar.

    I will remember you in my prayers!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 AM  

  • I'm of both camps in the love issue. You're fooling yourself if you don't think that love needs to be created. It's wonderful to "fall in love" at the beginning but that twitterpated feeling isn't what real, lifetime, serious, committed, eternal, love is about. That kind of love takes a lot of work, over a lot of time. 15 years in, I can look and see that every time we aren't working at creating love, and working *hard*... it's diminishing.
    -ric

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:17 PM  

  • Although it is almost considered cliché, I took the "Marriage Preparation" course at BYU. It was actually quite excellent. One of the professor's favorite quotes was (something to the effect of) "Don't sacrifice what you want the most for what you want now."

    I had a mission companion that did not have a testimony. He shouldn't have been on a mission without a testimony in the first place, but it was already too late for that. He really struggled, and I did what I could to help him. He wanted to have a testimony, yet he was unwilling to make the sacrifice to receive one. He had been taught what it takes to receive a testimony, yet he squandered his study time, did not read and pray about the scriptures, etc. He wanted a testimony without the associated effort.

    No doubt you too have learned how to receive a testimony (you probably do already have one). It seems to me that before you make a decision which may impact your eternal life, you first sacrifice to strengthen your testimony. The easy way always looks promising--it always appears to hold more blessings for less effort. Would it be easier to find a non-LDS spouse? Perhaps. Will it offer you some blessings over remaining single? Probably. But will it bring eternal blessings? Will it allow you to fulfill your complete potential as a mother?

    If Nephi were around I'm sure he'd tell you that the Lord giveth no commandment to the children of men save He prepareth a way for them that they may accomplish the thing that He has commanded. If He commands that you find an LDS man and marry in the temple, then He will provide a way for you to do it (and I'm not talking about settling, but finding someone that can truly make an eternal marriage work--what kind of spouse could be better?).

    The most important truth that my mother ever taught me was how to receive my own testimony. I know it's true, and I know I wouldn't have it if it weren't for her. Your greatest influence as a mother will be in helping your children receive a testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 AM  

  • It's so good to see everyone's blog. You have good friends who are on the right page.

    So my question is -is any of this helping? what do are you thinking now? what's the latest on YF? And what parts of your blog are the kids wanting to use in their play?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 PM  

  • OK - My 2 cents worth to be added (I LOVE how much everyone loves you!!!)

    All I can say is:

    People Change
    (for better or for worse) -
    God doesn't.
    (D&C 1:19-22. Note that vs. 22 can be referenced to D&C 131:2)

    I love you - Sas

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home