LIFE IN YELLOW

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Target

Regarding those lists people make about who they want to marry...

I was heavily influenced by a talk given by Gordon B. Hinckley in the General Relief Society Broadcast a year ago. He said two things which stood out to me, one of which I'm mentioned before; "Be an asset, rather than a liability, to a celestial marraige."

In addressing the young single women directly he said, "Aim high, but not so high you miss the target." I loved that. So this is my list... what IS that target? Here's what I think:

We aim for the center of the target. What's that center? I'd say what their life in centered on. The taget I want to aim for would be centered on Christ, and all the goodness that come with that as the real center. This would directly affect the next few rings of temple worthiness/attendance/worship, family values, and honoring his priesthood.

I know I had a few other rings in there in my original thoughts on this, but I don't remember them right now. Oh yeah, one of them was the ability to be an equal partner. Not a dependant, co-dependant, nor an abuser.

The outside rim, though, holding it all together is important. That would be faith in and to a relationship with you. No matter how qualified you think someone is to be a good companion to you, the arrows ain't gonna stick if you're throwing at a steel target. Don't waste your time there.

All those other things: looks, talents, interests, financial status, smarts, etc. etc. etc. are just the paint that makes that target initially attractive and make you want to take aim. They aren't, however, that core or backing that make the target something you can stick to.

And that, dear friends, is my wish list. I AM picky. I DO muse on the intelligence of Mvob. But when I look at things in life that truly matter to me, and those central aspects... Mvob holds up pretty good. He's not perfect - but neither am I (even though I'm pretty close... uh... right). I don't want to aim so high I miss the target.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home