LIFE IN YELLOW

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Life on Sundays

I don't know where to begin - or how to explain how I feel.
Why am I shy at church social function-type things?  I have no problem speaking up in classes (but not so much I monopolize).  I have no problem being outgoing and wild and crazy if appropriate in certain elements (i.e. swing dancing/game playing, etc.).  I have no problem having meaningful conversations with people.  And outside of church settings - I'm often good at small talk.
 
But those in between class times, and after church/fireside times . . . it's not that I'm shy - I just have absolutely no idea how to approach people or what to say.  Ok.  I guess I AM shy.  So it linger quietly on my own, on a chair or something - until I can go home.
 
I think I mentioned how in Philly Derek realized I could be shy and was surprised (he had met me snowtubing - time for outgoing behavior) while Not-Doc Boy realized I can be silly and was surprised (he had only seen me at church).
 
Maybe it's because I take spiritual things seriously and just can't look at it as a meet market.
 
***
I missed my Philly ward again today, but oh well.  I am once again in a younger ward - have not met a male over 23... but it's just one day so far. None of the talks were insightful, so I really had to depend on the spirit to teach me.  This will be good exercise in humility, which I once again have been focusing on developing.
***
The date I had lined up before I got here hasn't happen yet.  The guy had a conference this weekend, so he was unavailable.  He said he would give me a call this week, however.  Wish me luck.  I'll need it.


2 Comments:

  • If need be, I have a large list of Portland UU young adults... I know it's not the same, but then you'd have someone to hang out with.

    -I.D.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:56 PM  

  • Yeah, I am the same way and tend to be different or shyer at church functions than non church functions. I am not sure why.

    PS. Good luck

    By Blogger Moi, at 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home