LIFE IN YELLOW

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Opinions about Valentine's Day Stuff:

THE USUAL:

Chocolate:
Chocolate is yummy, but not the best expression of Love. If you give me tasty chocolate, I'm going to eat it, probably without any self control and all at once, and then I'll at least feel bad emotionally if not physically for allowing myself junk like that. Also, you give chocolate, I eat it, and then it's gone. All done. Over. So, if you're going to give something edible, at least make it, either something nutritious, or make a memory out of it - like a nice restaurant. Quality food IS a good gift.

Flowers:
Well, every girl loves flowers it's true. How can you not feel happy with a flower? But I wouldn't say flowers are the most ideal, because they'll usually wither away and be done soon too. Not that they're any less appreciated because of it… A flower or plant that gets to keep living, now there's a step up. Life is always good, and continuing to nourish a house plant is more symbolic of real love than a pretty flower that withers away in a couple days.

Jewlery:
There's something enduring, but most people realize I don't really wear jewlery. I'll eventually take a wedding ring if offered by the right person -because symbolism and ritual are important- but even then it's not worth wasting money on a diamond. Let's be practical here. With my luck, I'd probably end up losing it down a drain or something anyway.

THE BETTER:

Food:
As mentioned above, REAL food is good. A nice dinner works because it gives you quality time. If the effort is made to either make a nice meal or pay for a nice restaurant, then that is truly appreciated.

Time:
Time is good. Quality time is quality memories. Surprises, or plans, outdoor, or in, with others, or one on one… (For Valentine's Day, One on One is usually preferable…) Time focused on eachother, now there's a quality gift.

Creativity:
Ok, so I start off by ripping on all the typical gifts and how I don't like them. People automatically think "oh no, she'll be impossible to give to. She won't appreciate anything that's not Huge and Complex, and Augh!" Or, they think "She'll just be happier if I don't do anything at all." Neither of these are true. I'm surprisingly very easy to please, but I will be hurt if I have a boyfriend who does nothing to recognize a special day. So, just think of SOMETHING, and odds are high that you'll make me smile.

..... We'll just have to wait and see how Derek Does. I'll try to do something good too... but his birthday is just a few days after V-day, so I'll have to come up with something for him then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home