LIFE IN YELLOW

Sunday, August 08, 2004

Email from and to Iraq

>Subject: Howdy
>Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 05:40:29 -0000
>
>Hey, just wanted to say hi and see what you have been up to lately.
>Anything interesting on your mind?
>
>[Name was here - he's an Air Force Pilot, a friend from North Carolina]

Hi [Air Force Pilot]!

I'm loving Portland, and just finished up a week of training in Boston, MA.

Actually, I woke up this morning thinking about my job, my family, and how I will vote in the upcoming presidential election. These are all related in the way I was thinking about them. At my job, I have the opportunity to give announcements almost daily. I realized I can use these times to practice public speaking. I can definitely speak about political issues etc. at these times, but must remain concise and purposeful. Perfect thing to practice. Also, I had a long discussion with one of my brothers regarding why he likes President Bush. I thought his reasoning was very weak, especially for his amazing arguing skill (this man wins any argument he wants to - and you walk away Loving him!). So I thought about beginning and essay for his and my sake about why I will not vote for President Bush. (Surprised? I didn't think so.) I'd love for him to be able to give stronger arguments regarding my severe dislike for his policies. I'll get that to you - but it may take a while, as it just became a zygote in my mind this morning. I have an idea of using the theme "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" for a basic structure.

Speaking of zygotes, I was also thinking of an anti-abortion argument my brother made. He said that even without knowing if a spirit has entered a developing life while still in the whom, the process of life has naturally begun, and committing an unnatural act to stop it is wrong. But if this is the argument, the same must also be true for the natural process of death. If I had cancer, the process of death has begun in me, and it takes a very unnatural act (surgery, chemo, etc.) to stop it. Does that make stopping death wrong? I don't think so.

I am not pro-abortion, though I do/would support stem cell research - I am, however, undecided as to whether or not to be pro-choice. Should a woman be allowed to make her own choice given her own unique circumstances - perhaps bringing a child into the world where it won't be given the proper care it needs to preserve family - or should that be dictated by law? By the spin of my stating the subject, you can see where I lean. Yet, at the same time, there is a very real possibility that I cannot bear children of my own. And this makes me take this issue deeply seriously. Adoption is certainly the best option for an unwanted pregnancy... yet there are countless unwanted children born in other countries where women don't abort the child - and they are in desperate need of someone willing to adopt them. I have a friend who worked in a Chinese orphanage - and it makes me heartsick.

I've also been pondering what I should do when people I'm just meeting find fun in making fun of those around them. I want nothing to do with conversations like that - but is it more loving to say something, quite possibly isolating myself from possible friendship - or to stay quiet? And, I must love everyone - so I need to give these people a fair chance to show me their positive qualities. So, I've been pondering what love is on this level.

I'm also trying to figure out how I'm going to keep myself in line and balanced when it comes to dating. I've barely had a chance to even talk to LDS boys here, and I'm getting asked out close to daily by non-members. (I have a very social-oriented job.) How do I balance my goals and desires with my circumstances?

So no, not much has been going on - in life or my mind. :)

How have you been? Are you in need of correspondence? I can definitely write more often if you'd like. How long is your war stay this time?

3 Comments:

  • Is an unnatural act to save a life also wrong?? Seriously look at that question. In all discussions no matter how logic or science based, you must never forget that right and wrong exist as eternal principles. Human logic should never lead us to contradict what we know to be right or wrong. This leads to another question, is there a command stating "thou shalt not save lives?", I ask simply because I know of one that prohibits killing. Was the Savior, who is the ultimate example, sent to save or take lives?
    Have you ever known anyone who has had an abortion and not had feelings of regret or sorrow afterward? Why is that? Also remember that people do not magically get pregnant. A person must proactively get pregnant. Children are a consequence of actions...not spontenaity. (don't bust out the rape and incest exeption...most everyone including myself set those situations aside as exceptions).

    In regard to How much your brother "likes Bush" remember that it is only a like in comparison to other choices at hand. Arguments are not always weak just because they are only based on one or two simple principles. You may find it absurd that A person would choose a polatician based on traits rather than policy. I do not speak of charisma or intallect but honesty and intent. It comes down to who do you trust, and who do you think is acting on true conviction as opposed to self agrandisment.
    It is popular to call Bush a liar but I havent seen unbiased proof of "lies". being missinformed by those who should know does not constitute a lie.
    I am open to critisism of Bush, I have PLENTY of my own. The real question is why Carey? Why would I trust him?

    By Blogger brohammas, at 6:19 PM  

  • P.S. Just because I can't spell doesn't mean I'm not right.

    By Blogger brohammas, at 7:08 PM  

  • Wow! Out of the quiet depths of the sea of thoughts. I do love mi familia. I love the way all of you think - be it different. Thank you for thinking and for doing it so lovingly. *sniff*
    K.
    Sas

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home